Three "Start your own Business courses" in Dohuk.
As part of our ongoing activities related to the IDPs & refugees in Iraq within the cooperation between Business Innovation Programs (BIP), and Public Aid Organization (PAO), three "How to start your own project" training courses were organized for IDPs & refugees in the camps of ( Bersev 1 ,Bersev 2 and Domeez) in Duhok. The courses were led by trainer (Omar Kareem Ahmed). The first course was organized for the IDPs of camp of Bersev 1 in the period from 27/11/2016 to 01/12/2016 for 20 participants ( 11 women & 9 men).
The course’s participants, who had different business ideas, continued for a five day period in which they were trained to manage small businesses and to consider their financial results based on their previous experiences. The participants had different business ideas such opening a kindergarten, a sweets factory, hairdressing saloon, tailoring shop and others. The participants were impressed by the training materials, because they were something new to them that they haven’t come across before.
The second training course (in how to start your own project) was organized for IDPs in the camp “Bersev 2” in Duhok. The course was held in the period from 11/12/2016 to 15/12/2016 for 20 participants ( 6 women & 14 men). The course’s participants who also had different business ideas, continued for a similar five day period, during which the participators were trained to manage small businesses and to consider their financial results based on their previous experiences and business ideas.
Like the first group, the participants had different business ideas, such as opening a kindergarten, a sweets factory, hairdressing saloon, tailoring shop, a farm and others. The participants were impressed by the training materials.
The third course (in how to start your own project) was organized for the refugees in the camp “Domeez” in Duhok. The course was held in the period from 25/12/2016 to 29/12/2016 for 20 participants ( 8 women & 12 men).
Just like the previous two courses, the participants had different business ideas like a kindergarten, canned food factory, hairdressing saloon, tailoring shop, handicrafts and others. The participants expressed their happiness for being involved in such a course which had unique training materials, because they were something new to them that they haven’t come across before.
SUCCESSFUL MENTOR TRAINING
BIP certified trainers from Iraq attended a 5 days’ mentor training in Beirut in the period 17-22 November. Among the participants were also representatives from the Iraqi Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, including General Manager of Vocational Training Directory Mr. Aziz Ibrahim Khalil. Eng. Khalil has supervised the BPD trainings in all Vocational Training Centers in Iraq. The Mentor training focused on new skills in problem solving, continuous improvement and management of growth in existing companies. The mentor training is an important element in making the project sustainable so that the Ministry can operate the program on their own. Both the content of the training and the performance of the trainers was rated 5,8 on a scale from 1 to 6.
New BIP Project for IDPs and Refugees in Iraq
The new project in Erbil is funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and administrated by the Norwegian Embassy in Jordan.
Together with the Public Aid Organisation (PAO), Business Innovation Program launches a project for business development in refugee camps.
The project is estimated to last for two years starting 1st of October 2016.
TARGET GROUPS AND AIMS
The project is designed to develop jobs and transfer entrepreneurial skills to the target groups.
- Internally Displaced Persons in Iraq (IDPs)
- Syrian refugees
- Yezidi Kurds
The participants in the program will consider starting their own business/project either in the camp or after returning.
Two of the attached pictures are from the first training for IDPs from Mosul held in Baharka Camp outside Erbil.
“Start your Business” training for Iraqi Internal Displaced Persons
Business Innovation Programs in cooperation with local partner Public Aid Organization (PAO) have carried out a BPD training for Iraqi Internal Displaced Persons that are in camps in Iraq. The IDPs came from cities which are in war zone. They attended the training with the aim of testing their own business idea and to see if starting a small business is possible.
The Training had 20 participants and lasted for five days. It was financed by The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and conducted in March 2016 between with two others trainings in Erbil.
The results on the evaluation questions;
- How satisfied are you with the content of the workshop? The average score was 5,8 on a scale from 1 to 6 (6 top score)
- How satisfied are you with the performance and presentations (trainers and material)? The average score was 5,8 on the same scale
- How important is this training for the improvement of the daily life in the refugee camp? The average score was 5,5. Some of the comments:
- It made us see alternatives for an improved life
- I felt a psychological comfort and got self-trust
- I will use the new knowledge to build my new future
- 03.03 Time 09.00 – 16.00 Preparation, meeting BIP and local partners according to schedule
- 04.03 Time 09.00 – 16.00 Preparation, meeting BIP and local partners according to schedule
Time 20.00 – 22.00 Meeting Norwegian Embassy and BIP
- 05.03 Time 08.00 – 16.00 Project meeting with local partners. Participants from the Norwegian side are Norwegian Embassy represented by Jorunn Taksdal Stubbhaug, Business Innovation Programs represented by Hussein F. Tahir, Bjørn Reite and Wiggo Slåttsveen.
- 08.00 – 10.00 Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs Iraq – General Manager Azizi Okbi
- 10.00 – 12.00 ALOLA – Layla Abdulhusein
- 12.00 – 14.00 Public Aid Organisation (PAO) - Hoger Shekha
- 14.00 – 16.00 Ministry of Education – General Manager Education Ministry, Saadi Ali Hamid and Layla Abdulhusein
Preliminary program meetings
- Presentation participants
- Aim of the meeting
- Experiences from the project – by each partner
- Plans 2016 – by each partner
- 06.03 Time 09.00 – 16.00 Visit to BIP activities in the region – refugee camp/ordinary training. Meeting with trainers and participants. Norwegian Embassy, local partners and BIP will attend.
- 07.03 Time 09.00 – 16.00 Summarizing meeting between local partners and BIP.
Norwegian Embassy visits BIP in Erbil
The Business Development Project in Iraq, that is financed by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, hosted Norwegian Embassy representatives in Erbil in the period 3-8 March 2016.
On 4th March 2016, the Norwegian Business Innovation Programs (BIP) executives, Bjorn Reite and Wiggo Slaattsveen, met all partners in Erbil. Jorunn Taksdal Stubhaug, the First Secretary Royal Norwegian Embassy met BIP leaders and all partners and discusses the opportunities and goals of the projects in the area. The Public Aid Organization (PAO) representative Hoger Chitto, Chairman of Board, and Nazar Abdullaziz met and discussed the program of implementation and goals of the BPD trainings in the Refugees & IDPs Camps. Alola and MoU also attended.
All partners are agree that refugees, IDPs , women and youth need a “ Start your Business Program”, and it is the best way to achieve a bright future. The project could start in the last quarter of 2016 after more meetings and discussions to reach the best way to work. The project will include all camps for refugees and IDPs in camps and the Yazidi women as well.
During 2015 and start of 2016 BIP & PAO have implemented Business Plan Development trainings for refugees from Syria and Iraqi IDPs in the camps. These trainings have become a successful activity for the target groups and it was the first practical training in the camps.
BPD trainings, ToT, Vocational Training and Job Centers are targets for this project also. These kinds of activity are important for the target groups and we will try our best to continue with them.
Meeting in Erbil